Monday, October 24, 2005

The hamster at the wheel

The way I figure it, I should spend some time in my blog adolescence sharing parts of my self, history, philosophy, whatever...so you can get an idea of where I'm coming from-- particularly useful as I have broad interests. Some deep and rich, some momentary and intense.

The first thing you should know about me is the kind of communicator I am.

An auditory learner

I am that variety of learner that must speak and hear ideas in order for them to take form and become real. Until I see or hear it, it's hard to get my head around it.

The process of working through a thought in writing or through exchange brings me to the theories that I want to test-drive.

So if you read it on this blog it may not be my final belief on the matter.

My epistemology

I do believe the fullest understanding comes from more than one voice in the room. Dialogue- the willingness and acquired skill -is the best teacher.

Through dialogue, we become students of our own thinking.

By listening to others with the goal to understand (not persuade) and in turn seek to make ourselves better understood, we better discover why we think what we do.

That's, uh, my final belief on the matter. ;?P

Blog dialogue

Which makes blogging an interesting thought medium for me. It's thinking out loud (good), but it's not well suited to dialogue.

Text is a lousy medium for conveying understanding. About 93% of emotion is communicated vocally (intonation) and visually (body language). 7% verbally (words).

Ever gotten into a high-emotion text exchange? Misunderstandings that need 300 words to clarify and correct? Noooo, neeever! ;?o

Having said that, I am hoping for some good exchange. But I'm not much interested in fights. I have a 3 y/o daughter that gives me all the spunk I need!

Alright, that's enough head-stuff for the moment. "The time has come," the walrus said...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home