Monday, November 28, 2005

Black Sunday: Jeremy's shopping downfall

~sigh~


I gave in.

I went to a mall to buy stocking stuffers. No presents, mind you-- We generally make those ourselves. But for the little bric-a-brac one must go into the lion's den.

Target. Costco. The mall.

So, in search of fingernail clippers and a few other things I went. sneeringly. no "Black Friday" automaton, I.

What's that line about 'pride goeth before the fall?'

You got it.

15 prideful steps. slip. fall. ass-over-teakettle.

There I lay: twisted ankle, in the road, remorseless passersby, each look condemning me- 'drunk,' 'panhandler,' 'competition'.

So my shopping trip preemptorily ended with a visit to the doc, a slick-looking boot (and crutches!) and a chastened Jeremy.

Well, at least I didn't get run over by other shoppers.

-----

Here I am, getting ready to teach sitting down for the next three days.

This is Nike, where people base jump or paraglide into work (tandem style for the carpoolers)

A cast or fresh wounds occasion tales of daring-do and noble wipeouts. What nobility is there in stepping off a curb and landing badly? I wasn't even freestyling!

So I'm left trying to conjure up an alternate, cool version of events. Something like jetpacking?

...er, any other recommendations?

1 Comments:

At 12:13 PM, Blogger jer,uh...ME! said...

Yeah, as I lay in the road I was thinking about that.

Real dumb thing to happen right before Kari is due.

I'm getting through it, though it sucks feeling helpless.

Interesting insight into what it must be like to be old and unsteady on my feet, unable to walk upstairs to sleep in my own bed, to need another person to help you do the simplest things like taking your socks off...

...This really sucks. :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home