Thursday, November 17, 2005

post-class post

So I'm a teacher. Ya knew that, right? :?)

I just wrapped up a class today - my favorite class.

Some classes leave me drained and with a post-class letdown (not the milk kind).

There's an intensity to being in the moment with a class, using more of your awareness than just about any other time.

Maybe performing in a pro team sport is analogous.

There's getting the words out, conveying the tone, observing audience response, working out how to draw them in or provoke questions, managing the lesson plan, synthesizing, relating... And we're not even getting into the physical delivery, the tools of the trade the setup or the cleanup.

All that is a rush. Then the evals pass out and it's over. Afterburner switches off and awareness of fatigue creeps in.

Then the letdown as self starts critiquing all the successes and failures of the day.

Did I mention I teach 1 and 2 day classes? Yeah, a slightly different animal from 75minutes we all barely made it through as undergrads.

Back to my original statement - this class is my favorite. Time/Life management.

When this class lets out, I don't feel drained. I feel energized.


"Where some women satisfy, she makes most hungry" - Heinlein

I'm sitting here now, shoulders tightening up a little, feet sore, students already half-way home and I want to keep going.

This must be what it feels like to know what you should be doing in life.

Anyone else feel that way about something?

2 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Blogger Sarah said...

Tee heeee! Jeremy is probably like me, just as spazzy with or without coffee. Though, I always have a cup after brunch and WATCH OUT world. ShaZAM!

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger jer,uh...ME! said...

It so happens I AM drinking decaf at the moment. -snicker-

And yes, it won't matter. *weg*

>;?D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home