Friday, December 02, 2005

I'd rather eat wild salmon by candlelight

How many here like farmed salmon? No? What's wrong with grey flesh and no taste to one of nature's pinkest, tastiest fishes?

Apparently nothing if you are Senator Larry Craig. Here's one more instance of transparent bad faith by a bought-and-paid-for legislator. Next time he eats out, maybe someone will slip him a farm-raised salmon.

I suppose we'll just end up doing to our fish what we've done to the tomato, eh? Unnatural, uniformly grey, bland-tasting, all-the-same-size fish.

Maybe someday we'll have "heirloom" salmon at farmers markets. ^_^

Correction: farm-raised salmon aren't really grey. The flesh is manually dyed pink before being sold.

2 Comments:

At 3:06 PM, Blogger Sarah said...

Oh, I could go on about this for DAYS! I just started reading "Raising less corn, more hell" by... uh, I forgot his name.

Wait for it... wait for it... HERE

Pyle... is the last name. Anyhow, it is an unusual enough title.

Yeah, we only buy wild salmon at twice the price, but also twice the taste :o)

 
At 5:05 PM, Blogger jer,uh...ME! said...

It really is worth it, isn't it?! :?)

I was chomping on some tasty fish the other day...

- broiled it medium-rare with only a little kosher salt and it was divine.

It was so good I really didn't need to eat much of it at all to be highly satisfied.

Look, I know my salmon has lovely fat in it for my taste buds, but the lesson is high taste = high satisfaction. Low taste = low satisfaction...and drive to eat more in search of full feeling in lieu of satisfaction.

More than anything, this may be why people marvel at how the French eat so much rich food without getting fat.

Well, they probably don't feel compelled to gorge themselves chasing after elusive satisfaction - it's right there.

---

Incidentally, here are some food quotes I identify with:

"Bread is life." (good bread certainly is)

"Life is too short to eat bad bread." (yep)

"Tell me what you eat and I'll tell you what you are" ~ Brillat-Savarin (culinary school playground taunt?)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home