Monday, December 05, 2005

Ted Koppel and Me

I was listening to Ted Koppel (ex-ABC news anchor guy) do an interview with Terry Gross.

Ted was hawking a new book. During the interview he mentioned in passing how hard it was for him as an ex-smoker.

"...I quit long ago and I still miss it desperately. I would still light
up at the drop of a hat...


Ted's statement felt ripped from my own mind.

This may seem strange to say, but one of my greatest accomplishments was to stop smoking. I quit cigarettes 10 years ago. Only smoked for maybe 4 years "in college" but it was extraordinarily hard.

The insidiousness of it is that it stays with you, lurking.

I'll be under stress or enjoying some peaceful moment. My defenses are down and these little voices will whisper,

'Remember how good it felt?'

I always come back to my senses, but the addiction merely recedes, leaving me with a "Will I ever be free!" frustration.

Some decisions we cannot un-make, Ted and Me. This is one I hope I can influence my kids to avoid.

3 Comments:

At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just grab on and chant, Must be strong...

 
At 11:40 AM, Blogger jer,uh...ME! said...

Thanks non-d. I'm not quite sure what to grab on to, but I'm a grabbin'! :?)

There's a pretty funny event in my life that involved shouting in my sleep, "I muUST BE STROong!"

But that story is reserved for the descript. ;?)

 
At 2:24 PM, Blogger jer,uh...ME! said...

...and I so cannot believe I didn't recognize your nom de plume.

You suck. truly. I?p

 

Post a Comment

<< Home